Startup Weekend Beirut 2012 that took place July 6,7,8 2012 at Berytech Mar Roukoz was a great success! The event was attended by more than 200 people, 130 of which participated to be part of 25 teams in the 54 hour event. Out of 40 pitched ideas, 25 were shortlisted through attendees voting, and 17 out of which survived till the end.
Interesting facts about the event:
- More than 40% of teams stayed overnight at the venue working on their products
- Early-stage startups were allowed for the first time to a Startup Weekend event by having booths in the main event lobby
- 1 team had their hard-disk malfunctioned and had to re-write all the code
- The first winning team has two high school students as team members
- CFE of the Beirut Arab University had en extremely high presence at the event and contributed more than 4 teams alone
- 1st Prize: AID (An audio impairment assisting mobile app)
- 2nd Prize: Presoly (A mobile app that makes presenting easier for frequent speakers)
- 3rd Prize (tie): LingVee (A mobile app for learning languages by letter tracing) //// LivingBand (A portable music band that plays songs by just shaking your mobile phone together with your friends)
If you haven’t watched related videos yet, make sure to check them below!
- Shit Lebanese Entrepreneurs Say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzqs9fRaeRM)
- Paranoyd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jx8l3zGsns)
- CalcuText (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74tGStgH0o)
- Pre-Alarm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dojXlod9okA&feature=plcp)
Big thanks to the sponsors that contributed to the success of this event!
Aramex, N2V, Ministry of Telecommunications, Berytech, Anghami, Potential, MEVP, ArabNet, Element^n, Cisco EI, Dunkin Donuts, AltCity, IDM, Bader, BAU CFE, MIT EF, AUB, LAU, Wamda, Sociatag, Oasis500, EastLine Marketing, IDAL, Microsoft, BizSpark, Google, Startupr, Sync, Douze Degres, King Zaman and Laban Group
During SW a focused group took place with reps from the Ministry of Telecommunications. More details about the summary of the focused group is here: http://mena-business-intelligence.posterous.com/lebanese-government-is-serious-about-startups
Blogs/News posts about SW: